It has been confirmed that the submissions window for Melodifestivalen 2023 will open on August 26th.
Swedish broadcaster SVT have confirmed that the submissions window for next years Melodifestivalen will be open from August 26th until September 16th, with the rules as follows:
- All Swedish citizens and residents (as of August 26th, 2022) can submit an entry, either a lyricist or as a composer. This excludes employees and contractors of SVT.
- Non-Swedish residents are allowed to submit an entry, provided that at least one lyricist or composer is Swedish.
- A song can be submitted more than once, if it has lyrics in more than one language.
- Songs cannot be longer than 3 minutes, as per the rules of Eurovision.
- A maximum of 8 people can be on stage for the performance at Melodifestivalen, but this will need to be reduced to 6 people for Eurovision, to comply with the rules.
Once the submissions window closes, all of the entries will be whittled down to 28, of which 10 will be in the Swedish language, and at least 50% of these entries will have women as the lyricist and/or composer.
The names of the final 28 entries, and their composers, is expected to be revealed around November/December of 2022.
Are you excited for Melodifestivalen 2023? Which Swedish acts would you like to see taking part? Let us know in the comments below!