Finnish broadcaster YLE have confirmed that Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu (UMK) will once again be used as Finland’s selection method for Eurovision as the show is set to return in 2022. This will mark the 11th time that UMK will take place.
Alongside the news of UMK returning for Eurovision 2022, YLE have also released the rules and regulations for the show.
- Songs must be submitted between the 1st and 6th of September 2021 and cannot have been released or performed before September 1st
- Contestants material must be original compositions and unpublished
- Up to three entries can be submitted per singer or group; however, only one will be eligible to make it to the live show
- Songwriters are able to submit multiple entries
- The singer on the submitted track must also perform the song in the UMK final
- Submitted songs cannot have been entered into other Eurovision pre-selections
- At least one lead singer or songwriter must have Finnish citizenship or be a permanent resident of Finland
- All songs must not exceed 3 minutes in length
- All performers must be at least 16 years old by May 1st, 2022
UMK and Eurovision 2021 saw record breaking viewing figures as Blind Channel achieved Finland’s best Eurovision result (6th) since Lordi won in 2006. Are you excited for UMK 2022? Which acts would you like to see competing? Let us know in the comments below!